A little over a month ago, the company that I worked for more then 11 years notified all of the employees that they were doing another layoff and we needed to wait home for a phone call on March 18th to hear if we were being retained or not. This was the second reduction in the last 7 months. I had received a speeding ticket and was already scheduled to attend traffic safety school to keep the ticket off my driving record because after all, too many moving violations in my job could result in termination. I did have a little anxiety about loosing my job but in my heart of hearts, I did not really think it would ever happen. So, I got to traffic safety school nice and early and explained to the retired police officer why I would need to slip out the back and take a quick phone call. He understood but did ask that I turn my phone off as soon as I knew.
From 8am to noon the class came and went with no phone call. I reached out to a couple of co-worker friends that had been texting me during the class. Everyone had heard that they kept their jobs. Some had new managers or new territories or new drugs to sell. I figured that someone called my land line and I would know the new details of my job as soon as I returned home. I walked into my kitchen to check my messages but there was no blinking light. I was starting to get concerned.
Finally, after 2pm, my home phone started to ring. It was a St. Louis area code which was not a good sign. I remember saying a prayer, “Lord, Your will be done.” I picked up, “Hello?” It was my regional director. He asked me how I was doing. “Well, I have been waiting all day for this phone call so I am feeling very anxious.” He informed me that a HR representative was also on the call. He started reading a script that sounded like it had been written by a lawyer and made me feel like I was being read my rights. “Due to recent changes to the company after carful consideration we regret to inform you that you will not be placed.” (YIKES!) My jaw was dropped while I was listening and trying to take notes. The HR guy took over the call to inform me of the severance package I was eligible to receive. After hanging up the phone, I remember putting my forehead down on the table and just being in shock for a few minutes.
I needed to call my husband. How would he respond? To make the situation even more interesting, we had just given a builder a boat load of money to build our dream home. I called him crying. He was very sweet and understanding and told me we would work it out. He came home early because I was so upset and we went together to get the girls from daycare. On the way to get the girls he told me my father-in-law’s response to me loosing my job, “We prayed in our Bible study that Jenni would keep her job. This just means God has a better plan.”
FAST FORWARD ONE MONTH LATER
Even though it is a little adjustment, I LOVE all the extra time I am getting with my sweet girls! We go to the park and the library. We sit and read more together. We took a road trip to Texas with my sister to visit my brother and his family. I work out every morning and I am eating healthier. I am making an effort to be a better homemaker, making sure the house is clean and dinner is made when Fred gets home so he can feel the advantages of wife that is home.
As much as I love being home, being a stay at home mama does not pay in US currency. I think the biggest advantage to working after having kids, at least for me anyway, is that we never fought about money. I really do not want to introduce financial stress into my husband’s life or my own while this house is being built. But I REALLY do not want to get another job in corporate America. So now my back is against the wall. I need to make my dream of being a successful internet entrepreneur a reality.
I have updated my resume and talked to a few recruiters because it is the ‘responsible’ thing to do, but each new job lead just validates in my mind that another 9-5 with a boss is not what I want. I am praying that God continues to open the right doors and close the wrong ones and that I have the right mindset and attitude to do His will.
I often refer to my husband as “my biggest fan and my biggest skeptic.” He thought my idea for a website selling shower curtains was a silly idea until I could show him sales rolling in, now he is designing my shower curtains for me. He is still not hounding me to get another job but it might me because I proactively tell him what I did that day to contribute to my job search.
SHINY OBJECT SYNDROME
I have heard that true entrepreneurs have a tendency to start something and then very early on, come up with a new business idea to start as well. This is me for sure. The lack of focus has been a set back and has probably one of the reasons that I am not making real quit-your-job money right now but another way to look at it is that multiple income streams is a very good thing.
This is as list of all the ways I am trying to make a living online so I do not have to get another job:
1. SELLING ON AMAZON – This is where I think I need to focus most of my efforts. I set a bunch of shower curtains that I got a great deal on into the Amazon warehouses and they are selling! I had to lower the prices and give a few away in exchange for reviews but it is working! I need to figure out how to get a good return on investment on running ads on Amazon but everything is figure-out-able! I have some ideas for some other products that I think would sell well on Amazon as well. (see, shiny object syndrome)
2. SELLING ON HOUZZ.COM – I am still selling shower curtains on Houzz. It is easy to do and the traffic to this site is amazing. I am beginning to sell pillows as well.
3. SHOWER CURTAIN HQ – this is my Shopify store. I am going to keep it going to continue to build my brand, but I will not invest any advertising dollars on getting traffic to the site – all those dollars to go to advertising on Amazon. All I need to do is make one sale a month, which I do by organic traffic, and the site pays for itself.
4. THIS BLOG (MIDNIGHT MOMTREPRENEUR) – I need to go back and actually read all the articles I have pinned about how to make money blogging. It other people can do it, so can I, right?
5. VITAMIX VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE – I have not made any of these in a while but I need to because Sydney keeps asking me about making another video – she likes to help. We have gained quite a following. I have some other ideas about making how-to videos on other products as well!
6. YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS – this is a new one for me. My sister-in-law got me into these and is determined to get me to sell under her. (Yes, it is a total pyramid thing) but there are some ladies making bank selling this stuff and the more I use EO’s the more I can see why this movement is taking off and here to stay.
I think my best bet is to focus on selling on Amazon. But I don’t want to just give up on 2-6. All of them can make me money, but selling on Amazon will most likely make up the majority of my income. After making this list, I feel like God has a lot of good entrepreneurial doors open for me, don’t you think?